Employer: Williamson Health & Wellness Center, Inc.
Responsible for providing support services as part of a care coordination team with the Project Director,
RN and clinical practitioners from Williamson Health & Wellness Center, Inc as well as other specialty care providers. The CHW will work with individuals who are at risk for cardiovascular disease providing one to one care and will encourage medication adherence and healthy lifestyles among the patients and within the community.
Community Health Workers Qualities:
- Trusted members of their community
- Have a close understanding of, the ethnicity, language, socio-economic status, and life experiences of the
- Communicate with patients in a caring and supportive manner
- Are members of a care coordination team under the supervision of a medical provider
- Helping people apply culturally appropriate disease management or prevention plans in the context of their home and community
- Providing social and emotional support
- Linking individuals with clinical, community and other resources and serve as a liaison between patients and the clinical care coordination team
- Providing ongoing, flexible, accessible support as patients’ needs change.
Scope of Practice:
- The CHW works under the direct supervision of a medical provider.
- Assists patients in self-management to prevent or treat chronic illnesses and medication adherence as directed by the medical provider.
- Bridges or culturally mediate between individuals, families, communities and health and human services, including actively building individual and community capacity.
- Provides culturally appropriate health education, information and outreach in community-based settings including but not limited to homes, schools, hospitals, clinics, shelters, local businesses and community centers.
- Provides direct services, including but not limited to counseling on access to health and human services, social support, care coordination and health screenings.
Knowledge and Skills
- Individuals with prior experience and knowledge of healthcare systems and vocabulary may likely thrive in this specific Community Health Worker position.
- Individuals with a healthcare certification such as MA or LPN could be a good fit for the CHW position.
- Those who have experience working in billing or as a receptionist who also have experience working one to one with patients may also be successful with this position.